Thursday, April 15, 2010

Blast from the Past

I came across an article in an online travel magazine recently that mentioned a product called Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo, which comes in a convenient small pump spray bottle.

It made me think of a product from my childhood, called Psssssst! It came in an aerosol can (like hairspray) and was heavily advertised in the 1970s, before Americans made a habit of showering and shampooing every day (we can probably thank Madison Avenue and Vidal Sassoon for the modern American hygiene norm).

On a whim, I perused Walgreen's haircare aisle for the newfangled dry shampoo. Camping season is coming up, and I thought it might be worth a try. Much to my surprise, I found, not Oscar Blandi, but Psssssst!.

I was shocked to find they still made a product that I thought had disappeared 30 years ago. However, it seems that it has not been lingering unnoticed on shelves for decades; the product was recently re-introduced.

Still, it just goes to show that some of the best new ideas are really old ideas.

No comments: