Monday, November 22, 2010

Alternative Holiday Signs

I've always found the "Keep Christ in Christmas" signs to be a little weird.  They seem more like political campaign signs than proselytizing. They also reveal an ignorance of the actual origin of Christmas traditions.

My attitude may have been shaped by the fact that, in our neighborhood, the guy who put out the KCiC sign every year was the same one who spent the summer telling all of his neighbors when and how they should mow their lawn and tend their garden (he always had an emphatic opinion about home repair projects, too).

For the Christmas Originalists, Heathens, Secular Humanists and ancient history buffs out there, here are some fun alternative holiday signs that you can print out and display if you are so inclined.

4 comments:

Beer, Bicycles and the VRWC said...

Whatever, Jill. Have you really stooped this low?

Ordinary Jill said...

You're a libertarian, Deekaman. How is alternative speech in answer to someone telling me how I should celebrate the holidays stooping low? I'm not trying to prevent anyone from celebrating Christmas. I'm just reminding everyone that many "Christmas" traditions -- the decorations, the celebratory gatherings with festive meals, the exchange of gifts -- are not unique to Christmas and never were.

Beer, Bicycles and the VRWC said...

So, you can't leave people alone to their beliefs? Gotta piss in their Cheerios?

James Greenlee said...

Jill, you inspired me to repost an annual bit on my blog a little early. Well, you and the local right-wing radio host I heard this evening.

http://greenleegazette.blogspot.com/2010/11/war-on-christmas-2010-beat-goes-on.html