Saturday, February 18, 2012

RIP, Anthony Shadid

I never had the honor of meeting him, although our years at UW-Madison overlapped a bit.  His time in Wisconsin stayed with him.  Here is a quote from an article he wrote about a year ago for the Journal Sentinel (h/t Packergeeks):

I've worked as a foreign correspondent for 15 years, and I feel like the Packers were there on every assignment, from Cairo to Islamabad. On my way back from Egypt, after landing at JFK in New York, I listened in disbelief to the radio in the taxi as Terrell Owens snagged the game-winning pass with three seconds left. Three. In a brutal winter in Kabul, I logged on to the slowest Internet connection in the history of the Afghan capital to see that we had lost to the St. Louis Rams, 45-17. Next to a wood-burning stove, still in my sleeping bag, I asked myself whether Favre really could have thrown six picks. Six.
I think he deserves a mention in the Packers Hall of Fame for his outstanding devotion to the team in the face of extreme challenges.

2 comments:

J said...

Jill,
You are no 'ordinary' citizen. No ordinary citizen can know about journalist Shadid, and his imagined Packers uniform, and then demurely claim to be just an ordinary observer. Nicely done.
J.

Ordinary Jill said...

Well, I am a Packers stockholder, but that's not a terribly exclusive group ;-)