Monday, April 18, 2011

Spirit in the Sky

In honor of Holy Week, I am featuring the very small collection of religious-themed rock songs that don't suck.

Since not sucking is a subjective judgment, your mileage may vary. Feel free to comment, either on the religious themes of the songs, or the degree of suckage (or lack thereof). I'm still recovering from a family vacation, however, so I may not see your comment right away.


Here is the incomparable Norman Greenbaum with his biggest hit:


In case you were wondering, yes, Mr. Greenbaum is Jewish (but then again, so was Jesus).

2 comments:

James Greenlee said...

It's funny how many "Jesus Rock" songs there were in the 70s. I always thought about making a compilation, and I'm very nearly an atheist!

Ordinary Jill said...

I suspect the Jesus rock songs were related to the Jesus Freak movement. Back in the 1970s, the term Jesus Freak referred specifically to a young person of hippie appearance who adhered to what we would now call a New Age Christian spiritualist movement. They made Christianity cool and rebellious again.