Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Quote of the Week

Little known fact, David's brother Charles Koch is actually even more influential.  Charles pledged $40 million to defeat President Obama, David only $20 million.  That's kind of cheap, Dave.

Sure, he's all for buying the elections, but when the bill for democracy comes up, Dave's always in the men's room.  I'm sorry, I must have left Wisconsin in my other coat.

I was particularly excited to meet David Koch earlier tonight because I have a Super PAC, Colbert Super PAC, and I am -- thank you, thank you -- and I am happy to announce Mr. Koch has pledged $5 million to my Super PAC.  And the great thing is, thanks to federal election law, there's no way for you to ever know whether that's a joke.

By the way, if David Koch likes his waiter tonight, he will be your next congressman.

      - an excerpt from Stephen Colbert's remarks at the Time 100 event (h/t The Mahablog)

2 comments:

Beer, Bicycles and the VRWC said...

But you are OK with millions of dollars in union money to influence elections? I know,"that's different". No, it's not. It's a few people with a lot of money either way. And in the recall, there's millions in out-of-state union money. Guess that's ok, too. But there should be no defense of business interests? No, I get it, really. Business "buying" elections bad, unions buying elections, good. Got it. Very simple.

Ordinary Jill said...

There needs to be full disclosure. Whether the money is coming from unions or billionaires, viewers need to know who is behind those benign-sounding interest groups who put political ads on the air, so they can filter the message appropriately. Colbert has done a fantastic job of demonstrating how the system can be gamed.