Friday, December 11, 2009

Iconic Nightspot on the Block

Oh, if only some philanthropic tycoon with money to burn would buy the Gobbler and re-open it as a celebration of Wisconsin's cultural heritage. Where are the Johnsons and the Menards when we really need them?

When I was a child, my grandmother used to let me play with a colorful plastic swizzle stick from the Gobbler. She enjoyed the occasional outing there with some of her friends, and she described to me the wonders of the place -- the bright colors, the revolving bar, the fancy drinks.

Alas, I never had the opportunity to visit the place myself. I had to settle for virtual visits via the various online tributes.

2 comments:

Dan said...

The Gobbler is still in existence? Before I moved to Vegas, it had been shuttered for years. Is it open now? That is one restaurant I always wanted to visit but never had the chance.

Ordinary Jill said...

No, it's not open and hasn't been for years. They're auctioning the building now and selling off the petrified wood lining the walls.